1 feared dead, 8 injured as terror herdsmen attack Ondo community

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

A 50 year-old farmer, Olaoluwa Olorunfemi, was on Sunday night killed in a fresh attack on Ago-Oyinbo at Ala Forest Reserve in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State after an invasion by suspected terror herdsmen.

Also, eight other persons in the community were wounded in the violent attack.

News Band gathered that the herders wreaked havoc on the people, who are mostly farmers, in the middle of the night without any challenge.

The spokesman for the community, Samuel Olowolafe, who spoke with reporters in Akure, the state capital, on Monday, said the heavily armed herders also looted the property of the victims.

He explained that the situation forced many residents to flee their homes for fear of being caught in another attack.

He added that the herdsmen resorted to sacking the community after their entreaty to be allowed into the community with their cattle to graze was turned down by the youth and elders of the area.

“They do perpetuate their devil act at midnight, cart away our foods, destroy our farm products and even machete people to the extent that they will land in the hospital.”

Olowolafe said it was the second time the herders launched an attack on the agrarian community.

He revealed that the assailants had earlier attacked the community in March, adding that many of the residents had lost loved ones and property worth millions.

Olowolafe asked Governor Rotimi Akeredolu to urgently come to the aid of the community over the fresh attacks on the residents.

“So, what happened to us at the weekend was that these Fulani herdsmen wanted to take over our farmland.

“We are calling on the state government and the security agencies to please come to our aid. Our life is in danger at Powerline and Ago-Oyinbo at Ala Forest Reserve,” he added.

Confirming the incident in a statement Monday night, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Ondo state, Funmilayo Odunlami-Omisanya, said Olorunfemi was killed by the armed men numbering about four.

Odunlami-Omisanya, in a statement made available to newsmen on Monday, stated that the deceased was hacked to death with a cutlass.

She added that the police had already begun their investigation and launched a manhunt for the invaders.

She said the suspects also went away with the mobile phone of the deceased.

“So, the police and family members of the deceased have visited the scene of the incident and his corpse has been evacuated from the scene,” the PPRO added.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.