Peoples Gazette suspends reporter responsible for fake audio doctored against Obi

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

A Nigerian online newspaper, the Peoples Gazette, which reported the alleged leaked audio conversation between Mr Peter Obi of the Labour Party, LP and Bishop David Oyedepo of the Living Faith Church has suspended one of its reporters Ayoola Babalola for one month without pay for violating the newspaper’s social media policy.

Babalola, who sat on the political desk of Peoples Gazette, had previously worked for Sahara Reporters, another Nigerian online-based newspaper.

This was disclosed on Tuesday in a statement issued by the Peoples Gazette, announcing the suspension.

The statement contained in a memo signed by the Deputy Managing Editor, Boladale Adekoya was sent to all reporters.

Recall that the leaked audio conversation in contest alleged that Obi ahead of the presidential election solicited help from Oyedepo to talk to his people and in the conversation described the election as a “religious war.”

However, Obi, in a statement he personally signed on Wednesday, described the audio as fake.

He further raised an alarm that immense pressure was being mounted on him to leave the country.

The online media outfit said the decision by the management followed after carefully reviewing the reporter’s responses to online trolls.

Peoples Gazette said it concluded that he did not act with the decorum and professionalism expected of the organisation’s employees.

“Ayoola Babalola met with the HR, where he was directed to proceed on suspension for one month without pay,” the online newspaper stated in the memo.

“Mr Babalola is a vibrant and respected member of the organisation’s editorial team,” the statement noted but the reporter’s “conduct on social media, both from months past and as recently as last weekend, grossly violated the organisation’s guideline on personnel conduct.”

“Still, while the organization sympathises and stands strongly with Mr Babalola and all staff members who come frequently under social media onslaught, the manner with which colleagues handle online trolls is what distinguishes us as professionals,” it said.

Follow us on social medias platform – Twitters – NN News – NN News Team – Facebook pages/group – NN News – NN News Team – NN News Group. Comment on the article for thoughtful opinions will count. NN News will remove threats, harassments, and other violations. If you’re having issues with commenting, please let us know

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.