Tinubu relocates to Defence House ahead of May 29 inauguration as President

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

The president-elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has moved into the Defence House in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja ahead of his inauguration as Nigeria’s president on May 29th, 2023.

Tinubu and the vice president-elect Kashim Shetttima are expected to stay at the Defence House where they will move into the Presidential Villa after swearing in.

The Defence House is the official residence reserved for Nigeria’s President-Elects since the country returned to democratic rule in 1999.

Ahead of the May 29 handover, Tinubu returned to Nigeria on Monday to a rapturous reception by hundreds of his supporters and well-wishers across the country.

The president-elect restated that his promise to deliver a nation of renewed hope for all Nigerians remains in motion as he is ready for the task ahead.

“I am extremely excited to be back home and deeply humbled by the warm welcome I received on my return to Abuja today,” Tinubu said.

“Thank you all for your love and support. Our promise to deliver a nation of renewed hope for all Nigerians remains in motion.

“I’m happy to be back. I have rested, I’m refreshed and I’m ready for the task ahead. Forget about what the rumour mill may have told you. I’m strong, very strong.”

Asked about his plans for the country, he said he had been consulting and planning with a view to putting together a strong team, so he could hit the ground running once he assumes office.

“I am extremely excited to be back home after my trip to Europe. I am hale and hearty. I am preparing for inauguration on May 29, and consulting with those who will be part of the new government,” he said.

His return put to rest speculation by a section of members of the opposition political parties and his adversaries that he may not be on hand to take over power after the end of President Muhammadu Buhari’s tenure on May 29 due to ill- health.

Tinubu left Nigeria March 21, a day after the first and second runners-up of the presidential election, Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Peter Obi of the Labour Party (LP), filed petitions challenging his return as winner of the February 25 poll.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared Tinubu the winner of the presidential election after he polled the highest number of votes.

The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate polled 8,794,726 votes to defeat Atiku who had 6,984,520 votes, Obi got 6,101,533 votes to come third while the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) candidate, Rabiu Kwankwaso garnered 1,496,687 votes.

Meanwhile, Buhari said that he cannot wait to hand over to Tinubu as he wants to go home after eight years of being at the helm of affairs in Nigeria.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.