Sudan war: Gbajabiamila meets FG officials, wants Egypt’s hard stance probed

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has assured that the Nigerian Parliament will investigate the delay by the Egyptian Government to allow Nigerians evacuated from war-torn Sudan into its territories.

Gbajabiamila noted that the House will look into the remote and immediate circumstances that led to the hard diplomatic stance of the Egyptian authorities over the plight of Nigerian evacuees.

The Speaker added that the House would examine, to eliminate the “apparent confusion” over the roles and jurisdiction of relevant ministries, departments and agencies of the Federal Government in the management of the crisis involving Nigerians abroad.

Gbajabiamila made this known at a ‘situation report and update meeting’ on the evacuation of Nigerians from the conflict in Sudan, via a statement titled – ‘Sudan Crisis: Reps to Probe Egypt’s Reluctance to Grant Returning Nigerians Access into its Territories – Gbajabiamila…Speaker Meets FG Ministries, Assures on Safety of Returnees.’

The statement was issued by the Special Adviser to the Speaker on Media and Publicity, Lanre Lasisi, on Tuesday.

Those at the meeting included – the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Zubair Dada; Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa; Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development, Nasir Gwarzo; and other officials of government.

The statement quoted the Speaker to have said no room should be spared to scuttle the efforts of the FG to safely evacuate Nigerians back home.

“Our concern is to bring every Nigerian who wants to return home to Nigeria,” Gbajabiamila remarked.

The Speaker said he was unhappy with the report that though Nigerians were evacuated from Sudan, they got delayed at the Egyptian borders because the authorities there denied them access into their territories to continue with their journey.

As a result, he assured the government officials that the House would look into the matter and ensure that such does not happen again.

Gbajabiamila stressed, “Now, we know what has been done so far. It is also heart-warming that borders are now open in Egypt. But we will take it up in parliament to find out why they didn’t open the borders in time, especially in a period of crisis like this. We are happy that all 5,500 Nigerians willing to leave Khartoum have been evacuated and are on their way home to Nigeria.”

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.