Soludo to fire over 200 staff of state-owned media outlet

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

Governor of Anambra State, Prof Charles Soludo, intends to sack over 200 staff of Anambra State-owned newspaper, National Light.

News Band gathered that in the last state executive meeting, the governor raised the issue of closing the newspaper, saying the newspaper is not generating enough funds for the state.

A source said that the governor hinted that the staff may be sacked instead of being redeployed into other ministries.

Based on the information, the chairman of the Anambra State chapter of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ), Dr Odogwu Emeka Odogwu, had last week urged the governor not to close the newspaper house, especially now that things are hard in the country.

According to him, if the governor must close the newspaper house, affected persons should be redeployed into various state ministries. Odogwu noted that people who work with the newspaper house have dependants and would suffer if sacked from their jobs.

He said, “The SSG, Prof Solo Chukwulobelu, has finished writing a letter to close National Light Newspaper and Printing Corporation; and once Governor Charles Charles Soludo signs it, the organisation will be closed for good.”

However, reacting to the NUJ Chairman’s statement, Anambra state Commissioner for Information, Paul Nwosu, admitted that closure of the newspaper house was still being discussed and would be made public when concluded.

“The issue of the National Light is still being intensively considered by the Anambra State Executive Council (ANSEC), and as soon as there is a firm decision, the news will be formally made public, but not through a grapevine or a mole,” Nwosu stated.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.