UK criminals to be forced to attend their sentencing

Date:

Must Read

2027: I’m not contesting, says El-Rufai as he welcomes thousands of PDP defectors to ADC

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has stated that...

2027: APC Lagos beg Jonathan not to run ask Nigeria to reject him

The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress...

Senator Marafa dumps APC, declares Tinubu a ‘use-and-dump’ leader 

Former Zamfara Central Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa, who played...

PDP considering Jonathan, Obi for 2027 presidential ticket – Bauchi Governor

Bauchi State Governor and chairman of the PDP Governors’...

2027: I will contest ADC presidential primary, won’t step down for anyone – Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC)...

Judges could be given the power to order criminals to attend their sentencing, according to planned legislation announced Wednesday by the UK justice ministry.

It comes after offenders in several high-profile trials were not in court to hear their sentence and statements from the victims’ families, prompting repeated calls for a change in the law.

Last week, nurse Lucy Letby refused to attend her sentencing for murdering seven babies and attempting to kill six other infants.

Under the proposed reforms, which will apply in England and Wales, judges will have the discretionary power to order criminals to attend sentencing hearings, the justice ministry said.

Custody officers will be able to use “reasonable force” to make the criminals appear in the dock or by video link, “meaning every effort will be made for victims and their families to see justice delivered”.

Those who continue to resist attending their sentencing despite a judge’s order may face an extra two years behind bars, according to the ministry.

This penalty will apply in cases where the maximum sentence is life imprisonment. Typically, anyone sentenced to life has a minimum tariff to serve before they can be considered for parole.

“It is unacceptable that some of the country’s most horrendous criminals have refused to face their victims in court,” Britain’s Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said.

“They cannot and should not be allowed to take the coward’s way out,” he added.

The government did not give an exact date for the legislation to be introduced with the justice ministry saying it will be set out “in due course”.

Some lawyers have expressed concern about making attendance for sentencing compulsory, citing fears that the use of force could cause injury to defendants or staff, and disruption to proceedings.

The government, which has been accused of underfunding the criminal justice system for years, at the weekend announced plans to impose more so-called whole-life orders for the worst killers.

Currently, some 70 prisoners are serving sentences from which they will never be considered for release.

AFP

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.