Zulum raises alarm over resurgence of Boko Haram, says Borno is losing ground

Date:

Must Read

2027: I’m not contesting, says El-Rufai as he welcomes thousands of PDP defectors to ADC

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has stated that...

2027: APC Lagos beg Jonathan not to run ask Nigeria to reject him

The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress...

Senator Marafa dumps APC, declares Tinubu a ‘use-and-dump’ leader 

Former Zamfara Central Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa, who played...

PDP considering Jonathan, Obi for 2027 presidential ticket – Bauchi Governor

Bauchi State Governor and chairman of the PDP Governors’...

2027: I will contest ADC presidential primary, won’t step down for anyone – Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC)...

Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, has expressed deep concern over the renewed wave of Boko Haram attacks and kidnappings across the state, warning that Borno is gradually losing the progress made in recent years.

Speaking on Tuesday during a Special Expanded Security Meeting in Maiduguri, the governor said the increasing frequency of attacks, including the overrunning of military bases, signals a serious setback in the state’s security situation. The meeting was attended by top military officials, traditional rulers including the Shehu of Borno, and heads of various security agencies.

Zulum lamented the recent attacks in Wajirko and Sabon Gari (Damboa LGA), Wulgo (Gamboru Ngala), and Izge (Gwoza LGA), describing them as a grave concern. “The renewed Boko Haram attacks and kidnappings in many communities almost on a daily basis without confrontation signal that Borno State is losing ground,” he warned.

The governor reiterated his administration’s consistent support to the military and security agencies, which he said had previously helped in achieving relative peace over the past three years. However, he emphasized that the current escalation of violence demands urgent intervention.

While commending President Bola Tinubu and security forces for their ongoing efforts, Zulum called for enhanced technological capabilities for the military, particularly in the Sahelian belt of Borno, which borders Chad, Niger, and Cameroon.

Representing the traditional rulers, the Shehu of Borno also voiced concerns, noting that several local governments—including Guzamala, Marte, Abadam, and parts of Mobbar—remain under the control of insurgents and lack civil authority. He appealed to the Federal Government to urgently reconstruct key federal roads in the region, including Biu-Damboa-Maiduguri, Maiduguri-Dikwa-Ngala, and others to improve accessibility and response.

At press time, the high-level security meeting was still in progress.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.