Abaribe to Okpebholo: Democracy guarantees freedom of movement… nothing must happen to Obi

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, representing Abia South and chairman of the South-East Senate Caucus, has issued a strong rebuke to Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State over his recent remarks warning Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi not to enter Edo without prior security clearance.

Last week, Okpebholo stirred controversy when he declared that Obi should no longer visit the state without notifying security authorities—an assertion that has drawn widespread criticism from political figures and civil society.

In a strongly worded statement released on Wednesday by his media adviser, Uchenna Awom, Senator Abaribe condemned the governor’s comments, labeling them as “unconstitutional, unfortunate, and dangerous to Nigeria’s democracy.” He said Okpebholo’s position represents a direct affront to national unity and the fundamental freedoms enshrined in the 1999 Constitution.

“It is disheartening that leaders who are supposedly the custodians of the constitution would willingly lead its denigration in the name of politics,” Abaribe said. “Nigeria is governed by laws. Every governor, including Okpebholo, is bound by the rule of law and must operate within its limits.”

He questioned the legal basis upon which Governor Okpebholo assumed the authority to restrict the movement of any Nigerian citizen, especially a high-profile figure like Peter Obi. Abaribe emphasized that such a directive not only violates the constitutional right to free movement but also constitutes a potential threat to Obi’s personal safety.

“That is a dangerous threat to life that the authorities should not gloss over,” Abaribe warned, adding that “the country remains a constitutional democracy where the freedom to move, associate, and express dissenting political views must be preserved.”

Referencing Okpebholo’s background as a former senator, Abaribe expressed disappointment that someone with legislative experience could make such a statement. “He should know better. Nigeria belongs to all of us and cannot be turned into a personal estate,” he said.

Abaribe urged political leaders to remember that democracy thrives on diversity of opinion and inclusivity, not threats and intimidation. “The beauty of democracy lies in the freedom to hold divergent views and to move freely across the federation, including Edo State,” he stressed.

In a show of solidarity, former Vice-President and 2023 presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar also weighed in, denouncing Okpebholo’s remarks. Atiku called the warning to Obi “a threat to the entire opposition,” noting that attempts to intimidate or silence opposing voices undermine democratic principles.

The incident has raised fresh concerns over rising political intolerance in Nigeria as the country prepares for upcoming state and federal elections. Political observers warn that such undemocratic rhetoric could inflame tensions and set a dangerous precedent if left unchecked.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.