Boko Haram resurgence driven by Sahel jihadist push, says Tinubu’s govt

Date:

Must Read

2027: I’m not contesting, says El-Rufai as he welcomes thousands of PDP defectors to ADC

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has stated that...

2027: APC Lagos beg Jonathan not to run ask Nigeria to reject him

The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress...

Senator Marafa dumps APC, declares Tinubu a ‘use-and-dump’ leader 

Former Zamfara Central Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa, who played...

PDP considering Jonathan, Obi for 2027 presidential ticket – Bauchi Governor

Bauchi State Governor and chairman of the PDP Governors’...

2027: I will contest ADC presidential primary, won’t step down for anyone – Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC)...

Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa, has linked the recent surge in Boko Haram and ISWAP attacks in the country’s northeast to an expanding wave of terrorist activity across the Sahel region.

Speaking after a security briefing with President Bola Tinubu at the State House in Abuja on Friday, General Musa explained that Nigeria is feeling the effects of a broader jihadist mobilization in West Africa. “There’s a global push by terrorists and jihadists across the Sahel, and due to our porous borders, that pressure is now spilling into Nigeria,” he said.

His comments followed a deadly week in Borno State, where insurgents launched multiple coordinated attacks on military installations. Between Monday and Tuesday, four bases in Marte, Dikwa, Rann, and Gajiram came under assault. In Marte alone, seven soldiers were reportedly killed and three gun trucks were seized by ISWAP fighters.

President Tinubu convened the meeting in response to the attacks and has since directed the military to scale up operations and deepen cooperation with neighboring countries. Musa stated that new air assets and other military equipment have been approved to bolster frontline capabilities.

“We’re intensifying efforts and working closely with sister nations to tackle the transnational nature of the threat,” Musa added. He also emphasized the importance of non-military interventions, highlighting the government’s intent to deliver democratic dividends to affected communities and engage state governments in restoring stability.

General Musa warned against misinformation, noting that many videos circulating online are either outdated or unrelated to Nigeria. “Fake news is creating panic. Most of the content out there is old or from other countries,” he cautioned.

He assured residents in conflict-prone areas such as Borno and Plateau that security agencies are actively working with state leaders to restore peace. “Everyone has a role to play in ensuring peace. That’s the message we’re sending,” he said.

In a related development, the Nigerian Senate has called on the military to redeploy forces to the northeast following the Marte attack. Lawmakers also urged for the deployment of advanced technology, including drones, to better detect and counter insurgent threats.

The Senate’s resolution came after a motion titled “The Resurgence of Boko Haram in Borno and Yobe”, sponsored by Senator Mohammed Monguno and other lawmakers from the region. Monguno noted that while much of the northeast was previously liberated from Boko Haram control, the group appears to be regaining strength, leveraging technology like drones and IEDs in its renewed offensive.

He called for a full-scale return of military operations to Borno and Yobe, stressing that only a robust and well-equipped presence can effectively suppress the insurgency.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.