FG yet to begin evacuation of stranded Nigerians in Sudan

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

The Federal Government did not begin the evacuation of stranded Nigerians from conflict-torn Sudan on Tuesday as promised.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, had, on Sunday, said the evacuation would commence by Tuesday.

Hundreds of people have been killed since the crisis broke out some 10 days ago in Sudan’s capital between the forces of the two rival generals.

Over 80 per cent of Nigerians in Sudan are students, according to Onyeama.

In a chat with our correspondent last night, President, National Association of Nigerian Students in Sudan, Abubakar Babangida, said the evacuation of stranded Nigerians in the troubled country had not commenced.

While complaining that the communication network in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, had been bad, Babangida said he was not sure when the evacuation of the stranded Nigerian students would take place.

He, however, acknowledged that efforts were being made by the Nigerian government to rescue the stranded students.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian government Tuesday released the numbers for the evacuation exercise of the stranded Nigerians in Sudan.

A joint statement by Geoffrey Onyeama and Sadiya Faruk, Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development respectively, urged parents to advise their wards to be calm as concerted efforts were being made to evacuate all Nigerians stranded in Sudan.

The statement, signed by the permanent secretaries of the two ministries, also advised Nigerian students to maintain constant communication with the Nigerian Embassy in Sudan for further directives.

The statement advised all Nigerian nationals to guard against undertaking the treacherous journey to the borders on their own, in view of the dangers involved.

“Nigerian Embassy officials in Sudan can be reached through the following numbers: +2348035866773, +249961956284, +2348063636862, +249961956274, and +2349066663493,” the statement added.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.