Five worshippers dead, several hospitalised after white-garment church feast in Ibadan

Date:

Must Read

2027: I’m not contesting, says El-Rufai as he welcomes thousands of PDP defectors to ADC

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has stated that...

2027: APC Lagos beg Jonathan not to run ask Nigeria to reject him

The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress...

Senator Marafa dumps APC, declares Tinubu a ‘use-and-dump’ leader 

Former Zamfara Central Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa, who played...

PDP considering Jonathan, Obi for 2027 presidential ticket – Bauchi Governor

Bauchi State Governor and chairman of the PDP Governors’...

2027: I will contest ADC presidential primary, won’t step down for anyone – Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC)...

A tragic event unfolded at a white-garment church in Ibadan, Oyo State, where five worshippers lost their lives, and several others are receiving treatment at the Infectious Disease Centre (IDC) in Olodo.

The incident occurred during a local feast, known as “Ipese,” which took place during a Sunday service last week. The deaths have raised serious concerns over the safety of the feast.

As of Saturday night, about 50 worshippers have been discharged after receiving medical care, according to IDC officials. The incident has drawn the attention of government agencies, including the police, the Directorate of State Services (DSS), and the World Health Organization (WHO), who are all investigating the cause.

A source from the church shared with Vanguard that the cause of the deaths is still unknown. “I ate the prepared beans like every other member, including the victims, and nothing happened to me,” he said, urging caution in linking the tragedy solely to the “Ipese” feast.

Multiple agencies have visited the church for fact-finding, but their results have not yet been released. There are also rumors that the church has been shut down, which the source dismissed. “The Shepherd-in-Charge has been attending to visitors and is currently undergoing tests,” he clarified.

A senior medical staff member from IDC confirmed the ongoing treatment of affected worshippers. “So far, 50 patients have been treated and discharged, with others still under observation,” he said. The state commissioner for health is expected to provide further updates on the incident next week.

The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Adewale Osifeso, also confirmed that investigations are underway to uncover the root cause of this tragedy.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.