Man swept away by flood in Anambra, body yet to be found

Date:

Must Read

2027: I’m not contesting, says El-Rufai as he welcomes thousands of PDP defectors to ADC

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has stated that...

2027: APC Lagos beg Jonathan not to run ask Nigeria to reject him

The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress...

Senator Marafa dumps APC, declares Tinubu a ‘use-and-dump’ leader 

Former Zamfara Central Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa, who played...

PDP considering Jonathan, Obi for 2027 presidential ticket – Bauchi Governor

Bauchi State Governor and chairman of the PDP Governors’...

2027: I will contest ADC presidential primary, won’t step down for anyone – Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC)...

As records of flood related disaster continue to rise, a man whose identity is yet to be ascertained was on Tuesday swept way by flood at the Oye market in the Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra State.

The body of the victim, who was described as a stout built was yet to be found as of the time of filing this report

A source who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the man mistakenly stepped into a drainage at the front of the market during a downpour and was carried away by the flood.

He said: “It happened when it was raining in the area. The man unknowingly stepped inside the drainage at the market and the flood carried him way. The body is yet to be seen.

“So far, no news about the man. Nobody had given the identity of the man. Those who where around when the incident happened said they didn’t know the man; and no news about where he is.

This incident is third in a row of persons being swept away by flood.

Recall that barely four days, floods occasioned by heavy rain , killed two children in different locations at Nkwele Awka, Awka South Local Government of the state.

The deceased were said to aged four and seven respectively.

While one of the children was swept away by the flood while disposing refuse on a flood channel, the other was flushed away while trying to rescue his slippers being carried away by the flood.

Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) had alerted the nation about looming flood disaster in 19 states, which include, Anambra State.

It warmed that adequate preparations should be made in good time to avert the level of devastation that occurred during the last year’s flood disaster across the country.

It also advised communities residing in the coastal regions to begin early to evacuate themselves from those areas before the flood would come

Over 50 communities were last year swept away by flood in Anambra State; destroying buildings and farmlands as well as causing an outbreak of cholera.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.