Zamfara govt uncovers 16 bank accounts, N774b debts in Hajj commission, recovers N254m

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

The Zamfara Hajj Commission on Monday said it discovered N774 million as an outstanding balance not refunded to 504 prospective pilgrims in the state from 2019 to date.

The commission’s chair, Musa Mallaha, disclosed this in Gusau at the commission’s inaugural meeting.

During the meeting, Mr Mallaha presented appointment letters to the recently appointed five permanent commissioners and 18 part-time commission members on behalf of Governor Dauda Lawal.
Mr Mallaha further disclosed that from 2019 to date, the immediate past administration had not refunded N775 million to the 504 prospective pilgrims who deposited their money with the commission.

“This commission has been owing N775 million for 504 intended pilgrims from across the 14 local government areas who were not able to complete payment for hajj seats from 2019 to date. You know, I was appointed by Governor Dauda Lawal as amirul Hajj for this state in the 2022 Hajj.

“Many people in this state have complained to me that they have deposited their money in the commission for pilgrimage over the years but not refunded. I complained to the governor, and after my appointment as chairman to this commission, the governor directed me to investigate the matter and ensure justice for everyone involved,” stated Mr Mallaha.

Mr Mallaha further discovered that the commission had 16 accounts in different banks and requested the accountant-general’s office to verify all the accounts, leading to the recovery of N254 million.

“We further discovered that parts of the money deposited previously by the intending pilgrims had been used for free Hajj tickets and renovation of the state’s Hajj camp by the immediate past administration,” added Mr Mallaha.

According to him, currently, the commission has a total balance of N92 million out of the outstanding N775 million to be paid. Mr Mallaha said the Zamfara government would continue the investigation and ensure justice.

“You know, government is a continuous process; I am therefore appealing to Governor Dauda Lawal to pay all the intended pilgrims their rights,” Mr Mallaha said.

NAN

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.