2 sentenced to death for killing sex worker in Anambra | NN NEWS

Date:

Must Read

2027: I’m not contesting, says El-Rufai as he welcomes thousands of PDP defectors to ADC

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has stated that...

2027: APC Lagos beg Jonathan not to run ask Nigeria to reject him

The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress...

Senator Marafa dumps APC, declares Tinubu a ‘use-and-dump’ leader 

Former Zamfara Central Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa, who played...

PDP considering Jonathan, Obi for 2027 presidential ticket – Bauchi Governor

Bauchi State Governor and chairman of the PDP Governors’...

2027: I will contest ADC presidential primary, won’t step down for anyone – Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC)...

An Anambra High Court sitting in Onitsha on Wednesday sentenced two men Valentine Umezinwa and Emeka Okolonji, to death for killing one Blessing Eze, a sex worker.

Justice D.A . Onyefulu said the prosecution established beyond reasonable doubt that the defendants were guilty as charged.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the defendants had been arraigned on a two-count charge of conspiracy and murder of one Blessing Eze (a.k.a Golden), identified by the prosecution as a sex worker.

According to the prosecution, the accused persons lured, murdered, and dumped the deceased’s corpse at Dennis Memorial Grammar School, DMGS roundabout axis in Onitsha.

On Feb. 3, the Presiding Judge adjourned the sentencing to Feb. 9, in accordance with the new Anambra State Law.

“The Counsel to the defendants has not shown enough reason why justice should be tampered with mercy.

“And the Counsel has the option to appeal as well as go through the Committee on the Prerogative of Mercy as the Governor has the final say on the matter,” he said.

The Prosecutor, Mr N. S. Emeka, while speaking to journalists on the judgment, said justice had been served on the deceased, the state and to the convicts.

Also reacting, the defence counsel, Mr Chimezie Okeke, said they received the judgment with open heart.

According to him, they would approach the Committee on the Prerogative of Mercy and would also appeal the judgment. (NAN)

Follow us on social medias platform – Twitters – NN News – NN News Team – Facebook pages/group – NN News – NN News Team – NN News Group

Comment on the article for thoughtful opinions will count. NN News will remove threats, harassments and other violations. If you’re having issues with commenting, please let us know.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.