Intending pilgrims protest in Kano over exclusion from hajj | NN NEWS

Date:

Must Read

2027: I never declared intention to contest for presidency – Baba-Ahmed

The Labour Party’s vice-presidential candidate in the 2023 general...

ADC begins constitution review ahead of 2027 elections

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has intensified preparations for...

Imo ADC records major boost as Ihedioha leads  wave of defections, raises ₦200m

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Imo State on...

ADC appoint Imam, Yesufu to lead nationwide membership revalidation, mobilisation

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has appointed former two-time...

Jonathan still PDP member, offers boost as party gears up for elections – Turaki

The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP),...

Hundreds of intending pilgrims are protesting in Kano over the non-allocation of hajj slots to them despite making full payments for the pilgrimage.

The protesters stormed the head office of Jaiz Bank, the financial institution that processed their payment through a savings scheme, and the office of the Kano State Pilgrims Board.

The affected persons, numbering 284, said they were shocked to find out that after making payment, no seat was reserved for them, noting that some of them started the saving scheme since 2019. The first batch of the 400 intending pilgrims from Kano State had been airlifted to Saudi Arabia for the 2022 hajj exercise on Monday.

One of the affected intending pilgrims, Auwalu Jibrin, said, “We are the ones the National Hajj Commission asked to open an account with Jaiz Bank and deposit our money there. The state pilgrim board has collected our passport and screened us and now we learnt that we have no allocation.

“We are now left stranded without any assurance. Jaiz Bank has told us that of course there’s a problem and they are working towards ratifying the problem.”

Sources familiar with the development said that names of the aggrieved intending pilgrims had been sent to the state pilgrim board and documented but were not included in this year’s hajj because of the reduced allocation.

According to a source, the state pilgrim board is constrained by over 100 names sent from NAHCON to be given allocation while many who saved for years under the hajj scheme could not be accommodated.

On his part, the Executive Secretary of Kano Pilgrims Board, Abba Dambatta, told this paper that the board was doing its best to resolve the problem, noting that there was no allocation this year for those on savings’ scheme, especially those from Jaiz Bank.

He however said he was going to Abuja to make efforts in securing allocation for the 284 intending pilgrims. (Daily Trust)

Follow us on social medias platform – Twitters – NN News – NN News Team – Facebook pages/group – NN News – NN News Team – NN News Group

Comment on the article for thoughtful opinions will count. NN News will remove threats, harassments and other violations. If you’re having issues with commenting, please let us know.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.