Aisha Buhari, others will be prosecuted for spreading fake news about old N500, N1,000 notes: CBN

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) says it is working with intelligence and security agencies to arrest and prosecute purveyors of fake news that the bank is reissuing and recirculating old N500 and N1000 notes. 

The apex bank disclosed this on Tuesday shortly after first lady, Aisha Buhari, shared the fake news that the CBN had been directed by her husband, President Muhammadu Buhari, to reissue and recirculate old “N200, N500 and N1000 notes”

“The attention of the Central Bank of Nigeria has been drawn to a FAKE PRESS RELEASE purported to have emanated from the Bank to the effect that President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the reissuance and release of old N500 and N1000 notes as legal tender in the country.

“The Bank is working with the law enforcement agencies to investigate, apprehend and prosecute the purveyors of this fake news,” the apex’s statement reads.

The apex bank further said “for the avoidance of doubt, the Central Bank of Nigeria reiterates that in line with the directives of Mr. President, only N200 old notes are to be reissued and to circulate concurrently with the new notes. Members of the public are therefore advised to ignore this fake news.” 

Mrs Buhari, an ally of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, shared a fake press release attributed to CBN on her Instagram page on Tuesday. 

The post has now been deleted. Her spokesperson, Suleman Hassan, however, told Peoples Gazette that he is unaware of the development.

“Due to the current and unpleasant situation happening in Nigeria, In line with Mr. President. After having a closed meeting with him on the 20th of February, 2023, Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN) has been directed to ONLY reissue and recirculate the old N200, N500 and N1000 banknotes and this is expected to circulate as legal tender for 70 days up to May 1, 2023. Members of the public should therefore continue to spend the old notes,” the fake press release read.

Mrs Buhari sharing fake news comes a week after Festus Keyamo, APC Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) spokesperson, was called out for stealing a Chicago festival photo to portray Mr Tinubu’s campaign. (Peoples Gazette)

Follow us on social medias platform – Twitters – NN News – NN News Team – Facebook pages/group – NN News – NN News Team – NN News Group. Comment on the article for thoughtful opinions will count. NN News will remove threats, harassments, and other violations. If you’re having issues with commenting, please let us know.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.