Rain washes off Soludo newly constructed drainage in Anambra

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

An ongoing drainage channel being constructed by the Anambra State Government located on Niger Street in Fegge, Onitsha, collapsed as a result of heavy rainfall on Thursday night.

A video of the collapsed drainage circulating on social media and showing the channel, with a resident in the area commenting, described the ongoing construction work as substandard.

The individual in the video said, “Look at the kind of road that Governor Chukwuma Soludo is building for us, just one rainfall in Onitsha, and the road has been washed off, while the drainage has collapsed.

“Soludo has been saying he will turn Anambra into Dubai Taiwan. Is this how he will turn Anambra into Dubai Taiwan? Just see the road, it is just red earth, no cement at all.”

When PUNCH correspondent visited the site on Friday, there were mixed reactions. While some made derogatory remarks, others defended the governor on the project, insisting that the rains came down unannounced, on the same date that the work was done.

One of the respondents who identified herself as Nkem Nwanolue said, “The contractor is still on the site, and no one has declared the project completed. The concrete cast takes a minimum of seven days to cure and about 21 days to fully stabilise.

“That very gutter on Niger Street had neither cured nor stabilised before the rains of that very day, and anyone who knows Onitsha knows the volume of flood that greets every rainfall. The contractor, even from that very video recording, is still very much on site.

“Dubai, as it is today, as it is today did not happen in 13 months (Soludo has spent 13 months in office) and certainly not with the kind of bitter soul that made that video. Soludo is very much on course and will never be distracted by the tantrums of politically bitter people.”

Another resident, Mr. Godwin Okeke, insisted the project had been shoddily handled while blaming the development on “poor supervision” on the part of government officials, a team of engineers, and contractors handling the project.

“What happened showed that the materials used are substandard. If they have applied enough cement during the casting of the drainage, it would not have washed off,” Okeke added.

It was gathered that the state Commissioner for Works, Mr. Ifeanyi Okeoma, has visited the area and inspected the level of damage done.

An appointee of the state government, Mr. Chidiebele Obika, confirmed this to journalists on Friday.

He said, “Anambra State Commissioner for Works, Mr. Ifeanyi Okeoma, a team of engineers from the ministry were here at Niger Street, Fegge Onitsha, to inspect the level of work on the stretch and witness the effects of Thursday’s downpour on the road.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.