Rivers hotelier to refund millions after NBA conference relocation to Enugu over military rule

Date:

Must Read

2027: I’m not contesting, says El-Rufai as he welcomes thousands of PDP defectors to ADC

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has stated that...

2027: APC Lagos beg Jonathan not to run ask Nigeria to reject him

The Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress...

Senator Marafa dumps APC, declares Tinubu a ‘use-and-dump’ leader 

Former Zamfara Central Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa, who played...

PDP considering Jonathan, Obi for 2027 presidential ticket – Bauchi Governor

Bauchi State Governor and chairman of the PDP Governors’...

2027: I will contest ADC presidential primary, won’t step down for anyone – Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor and African Democratic Congress (ADC)...

Port Harcourt-based entrepreneur and owner of Portland Hotel and Resort, Azubuike Ihemeje, has revealed he will be refunding over N24 million to lawyers who had booked accommodations for the 2025 Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Annual General Conference.

This comes after the NBA officially moved the conference from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to Enugu, citing “unconstitutional governance” in the state as the reason for the decision.

In a statement jointly signed by NBA President Afam Osigwe, General Secretary Mobolaji Ojibara, and AGC Planning Committee Chairman Emeka Obegolu, the association said it could not hold its flagship event in an environment where democratic norms were being undermined.

The NBA specifically condemned the appointment of a Sole Administrator in Rivers State, labeling the move as a blatant violation of the rule of law and a threat to constitutional governance.

“Though clad in civilian attire, he governs as though the state is under military rule,” the statement said, adding that the decision to relocate was made after consultations with local NBA branch chairmen and during an emergency National Executive Council meeting held on March 27.

The legal body emphasized that holding the conference in Port Harcourt would amount to an endorsement of undemocratic practices.

Instead, the 2025 AGC will now be held in Enugu, a city the NBA describes as well-equipped to host an event of such magnitude.

Reacting to the development, Ihemeje shared his frustration on Facebook:

“Nigerian Bar Association has canceled its 2025 annual conference originally scheduled for Port Harcourt. The new venue is billed to hold in Enugu.
Me: I must now refund over 24 million naira to lawyers who had already paid for reservations.”

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.