Labour vows to reject minor increases to proposed ₦60,000 minimum wage

Date:

Must Read

Corruption: They ask how much you’ll pay to see Tinubu

Senator Ali Ndume, Chief Whip of the Nigerian Senate...

Senate confirms Tinubu’s new service chiefs

The Senate on Wednesday confirmed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s...

Terrorists threaten to bomb National Assembly — Lawmakers cries out to Nigerians

The House of Representatives has raised alarm over threats...

Elections should not be a period where people kill, maim – Dickson

Former Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has called for...

NASS committee approves creation of new state for South-East

Nigeria’s National Assembly Committee on Constitution Review has approved...

The Organised Labour, including the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), has firmly declared its intention to reject any minor increase to the current ₦60,000 minimum wage proposal by the tripartite committee.

This declaration was made by TUC President Festus Osifo during his appearance on Channels Television’s “Politics Today” programme on Tuesday evening. The statement comes shortly after Organised Labour decided to suspend its nationwide strike, which began at 12:01 am on Monday and caused widespread disruptions across various economic sectors.

The strike was initiated in response to what the unions described as inadequate handling of wage negotiations by the government.

Osifo emphasized that although the strike had been paused to allow for further negotiations, the labour unions would not settle for a nominal increase.

“Our decision to suspend the strike was in good faith to allow for more constructive dialogue. However, let it be clear that any token addition to the ₦60,000 initially proposed will not be acceptable to us,” Osifo explained.

The ongoing negotiations aim to establish a new minimum wage that aligns with the current economic realities faced by Nigerian workers.

“At the meeting on Friday, the tripartite committee said they would not add anything more to the ₦60,000. However, in the meeting on Monday, Mr President committed to offering more than ₦60,000,” Osifo said.

When asked if Labour would accept a few thousand naira additions to the last offer of the tripartite committee, which includes the Federal Government, states, and the Organised Private Sector, the TUC boss replied, “No, we also told them that it’s not acceptable to get to the table and start adding ₦1, ₦2, or ₦3000. We received good guarantees that they would offer something substantial.”

Osifo clarified that while Organised Labour is not insisting on a specific figure like ₦494,000 as the new minimum wage, the tripartite committee must show seriousness and offer workers an amount that reflects the current inflationary pressures.

spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Latest News

logo-nn-news-small
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.